Data and Tools
Researchers working on AgMIP projects both require and generate large amounts of data for multi-disciplinary modeling activities. Data requirements for agricultural models include weather, soils, crop management, socio-economic surveys, price and market information, outputs of global climate models, among other data.
The AgMIP Data Interchange was designed to be the central repository for AgMIP data used in and resulting from modeling activities. AgMIP Phase 1 efforts (2011-2014) have concentrated on the AgMIP Crop Site Database, which contains data related to site-based crop modeling activities, including daily weather data for historic and projected climate conditions, soils, crop management data, and summaries of the simulated outputs from cropping system models. These data can be downloaded from the AgMIP Data Interchange site in harmonized binary format for use as input to crop simulation models. Data translation applications are available for free download from the AgMIP Toolshed, which can be used to convert the harmonized data to model-ready formats for multiple crop models. Models that have working translation tools include:
- DSSAT, APSIM, WOFOST, STICS, SALUS and CropGrow-NAU.
Additional translators are being developed for:
If you have a model for which you would like to develop a translator, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the next phase of AgMIP, one of our objectives is to link in data associated with the TOA-MD regional economic model. This will complete the modeling support tools for the AgMIP Regional Integrated Assessments. All site-based crop and economic modeling data are (and will be) linked through the metadata which describe the analyses so that a particular analysis could be replicated from the original data.
- Below are some additional links to AgMIP data partners (access may require registration or additional authentication):
- AgTrials database
- AgMerra climate datasets
- Geoshare AgMIP Tool: A tool for aggregating outputs from the AgMIP’s Global Gridded Crop Model Intercomparison Project
- Harvest Choice data products from IFPRI
- FAO data
- AgMIP Workbench: Next generation AgMIP desktop platform
- QuadUI: Desktop utilities for crop model data conversion
- ACMO UI: Desktop utility to help generate ACMO files from model outputs
- ADA (AgMIP Data Assistant): Desktop utility to generate QuadUI compatible from from Excel
- Aceb Viewer: Desktop utility for reading ACE format data file
- Crop Marker: Desktop utilities for running and testing crop model and tools